Social Media is considered to be a means of interaction among people in which they create, share, and/or exchange information and ideas in virtual communities and networks. This method of social communication depends solely on mobile and web-based technologies
, to create a level of interaction among individuals that differs considerably from any other form of communication. Social media differs greatly from traditional media in many ways, and has many different classifications as far as function goes.
There are many different types of Social Media, and classification depends on the specific function of the site or network. Some classifications of Social media include:
- Social Networks: These are services that allow you to connect with other people of similar interests and backgrounds. Most often, social networks consist of a profile, various methods of interaction among users, the ability to set up groups, etc. The most popular example of social networking, is Facebook.
- Bookmarking Sites: These sites allow you to save, organize, and manage links to various websites and resources throughout the Internet. Most of these sites allow you to “tag” your links to make them easier to search and share. The most popular bookmarking sites currently on the Internet are Delicious, and StumbleUpon.
- Social News: These are services that allow people to post various news items or links to outside articles, creating instances for individuals to vote on these various items. Voting is the core social aspect, as the items that get the most votes are displayed on the site. The most popular social news sites are Digg and Reddit.
- Media Sharing: These are services that allow individuals to upload and share various forms of media, including pictures and videos. Most services have additional social features, such as profiles, commenting, etc. The most popular media sharing services currently on the Internet are YouTube and Flickr.
- Micro blogging: These social media services focus on short updates that are pushed out to anyone subscribed to receive the updates. The most popular micro blogging service is Twitter.
- Blog Comments and Forums: Online forums allow members to hold conversations by posting messages. Blog comments are similar except they are attached to blogs, and usually the discussion centers around the topic of the blog post. There are many popular blogs and forums on the Internet; a commonly used blog service is Tumblr.
Social media can open so many doors for your company, especially when you choose to work with BrioDigital
. The minute you decide to jump on board with our team, you are giving your company the opportunity to step into the realm of viral marketing, in which you get the chance to show the world that your company is like no other, and in the process, attract new customers and positive publicity for your company. The success of your business is of utmost importance to our team, so don’t wait; join our team today, and get your company on the map!
Call us to begin your campaign!